Page 1 of 1

Compatibility

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2026 1:57 pm
by Mossyback
I use N.I.N.A. for my remote observatory control. My ROR using a gate opening motor was controlled by an Arduino computer which died. It appears that Caterpillar would be a good replacement option. Is this correct? Also, reading the specs on this device, which accessories would I need to buy to make it functional? This brings up a third question, living in Canada can I buy direct from you?

Hank

Re: Compatibility

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2026 12:29 pm
by Jaime
Hey Hank,

I would say the answer to almost everything is yes.

You can order direct from us or from our USA dealer, as you prefer.
You can definitely interact with N.I.N.A.

If you share your current motor type, driver if you have one (or VFD, or...) etc I will be better able to reply to your question about accesories - it is quite likely that you don't need to purchase anything you don't already have. Otherwise, motor driver, limit switches, that would be about it.

Best regards,

jaime

Re: Compatibility

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2026 5:55 pm
by Mossyback
Hi Jaime,

This the gate motor that is installed on my ROR observatory. It was set up using an arduino computer following instructions from the AstroBloke website in the UK. I can open and close it with the motor FOB. The Arduino needed separate magnets to control the opening and closing positions as it couldn’t use the installed motor magnets. Can the Caterpillar use those motor magnets or will I need to order the Caterpillar ones?

Hank

Automatic Sliding Gate Opener Kit Rack Driven Sliding Gate Motor with Remote Controls and Infrared Sensor Electric Gate Operator Complete Kit for Slide Gates Up to 1800 Pounds
Brand: YILIKISS

Re: Compatibility

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2026 5:36 pm
by Mossyback
Jaime, yes or no for the Caterpillar roof limiters?

Re: Compatibility

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 11:31 am
by Jaime
Hey Hank,

Apologies, I did not get (or missed) the notifications for this thread.

You definitely could use the existing limit switches, but that would imply removing them from the gate motor - it is not a good idea to try to share them. The AstroBloke approach is solid - it gives you redundancy; I would suggest replacing the magnetic sensors with mechanical ones, but if the magnetic ones are good quality they are perfectly valid.

Please feel free to contact support@lunaticoastro.com if our replies here in the forum are too slow.

Best regards,

jaime